Saturday, January 10, 2015

Horse Conch

I can't wait until I have room to set up my camera and lights.  Right now I am leaning over my painting table with the art light on to snap a photo.  You will definitely notice the difference when I change methods at the end of next week.

This is the only horse conch I have ever found.  It was buried in the sand on what I call the secret beach.  This beach appears at only low tide on the other side of the rocks at the entrance of Gordan pass. 

I have found it difficult draw as well as paint shells, thru the years.  This one only took two practice sketches.  Somehow I nailed the shell's structure.  When painting this shell, detail, shadowing and texture have to be the elements of emphasis.  This can be a daunting task in watercolor without coming up with a soupy mess.  Some how the brushes and water cooperated I a achieved my goals fairly quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment