Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Playing in the Shade
This was painted from a photo. This white cat would come from across the street every afternoon to my daughter's yard. I love painting white. This cat hung around for quite and extensive photo shot.
The above branches was made up and experiment with negative painting.
I often find this painting turned upside-down when displayed as a matted print. It must be the unusual vantage point.
I have not been good at keeping accurate records of my paintings lately. I am not sure of the size or price of this piece. I do know that it is at the Waverly House Gallery.
This was painted for a competition on "Green." This did not make it in the show.
This painting should not have not been the struggle that it was. The soft hot press paper made painting the leaves a nightmare. Hard edges would appear constantly after paint dried. This is the hard edge where pigment would float to the edge. I solved the problem be adding a little white to my greens. This also helped in achieving the color I wanted. The dragonfly was a challenge because of the transparent wings. This is one of my paintings that has has to be viewed up close. The wings show more than in the photo. The photo was taken on a bush outside of the Naples condo.
This painting was painted in a series of three. My goal was to paint the scene out my deck window at sunrise. Each painting had to be in a different style. This one was the most successful and was the third painting. My intent was to give the feeling of stained glass.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
I like how this is coming. I've been working on the legs and the under body. The top of the bug has more form. In the next painting session I want to make upper body cooler and the under body warmer. The upper left leg needs to come down. I think that I want air between that leg and the head. I also have been working on the light against dark with the background and the legs. The connection of the wing toward the eye needs work. The bug face is improving. Do bugs smile? I think I'm kidding.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Sunday, July 12, 2009
I have found a way to add two images at once. We will see how this looks. This painting is a challenge from a website. I first sketched the sitting man. Then I added background interest using a dry-wall patch kit from the garage. Don't tell my husband.
I wanted to remove some of the spots. Since sepia was in the mix a tan color remained. Now I am developing some of the color temperatures and shadowing in the man's clothes. I am surprised how much green is present in the man's skin.
He seems to sit on the page well. I may not have to develop what he is sitting on much. His clothes are blue. The temperature of different areas will help in modeling his clothes. Painting his skin will be fun. I wish there was more of it.
Now I must let everything dry very well, before detail can be added.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
sketches, but did minimal drawing
on the painting. I am sketching more
with the paintbrush. I am paying attention to the shapes within the body. I plan to do this bug again with a different view of his body. Eventually I will dig up the bug book and identify this one
Thursday, July 2, 2009
This painting was on my ugly list. I often do creative or experimental things to paintings in this category. I figure that I can not kill them because they is already dead.
In this case, that approach was successful. This is one of the rare paintings that I do not have a photo of. It looks like I need to paint more pictures of Koi. They do not stay in the Galleries long.