Saturday, July 18, 2009


TOMATO FLIGHT: 16"x19" $400.00
I started this painting on a trip to Washinton D.C.
Upon returning home there would be only one week left to finish this for a compitition.
Before we left Washington, my husband's father died. I needed to go to Melbourn, Floida. First I had to accomply our little brother home. My husband and myself are a big brother couple.
Upon returning my suitcase was filled with clean clothes and I headed to Florida. I grabbed an airplane toy and the snapshot of the moth. I sat on the sidewalk with my camera getting a photo of the moth earlier that summer. Another artist friend of mine took the actual moth home with her. That helped not feel so eccentric.
My explanation for the flying objects in a painting of tomatoes was my mood after being on 5 airplanes in less than 24 hours. Actually the color of the plane lead to many color injections into the shadows or reflective light of the tomatoes.
The tomatoes came from a few snapshots at a farmer's market. I think that the yellow or green tomatoes added visual interest.
I learned to keep the shadows cleaner here by playing cool reds against warm reds and varying the water content. Cool reds are on top, because of the reflective color of the sky. Under shadows are warm. I learned along time ago that under shadows are warm.
The painting won an award in the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment