Sunday, September 18, 2016

Two Pelicans


This painting is a happy dance.  My husbands statement was, "You painted that in one day?"  Yes.  That little voice in my head was questioning my sanity for doing two pelicans in one day.  These two where in a group of immature pelicans.  I zeroed in on the part of the photo I wanted.  How could I cut either bird.

The drawing started with the line of the top of the head of the left bird then I drew the eye and went on to the bill.  Paying attention to shapes and their relationships to each other helped me to simply nail the drawing.  Pay attention and don't be in a hurry at this point.  It really pays off

When painting, I did the eyes first.  No matter how loose I would become at the end of the day the important details are there. 

I used a true mouse color to do the water.  The wash was pretty good, but water is moving and has different values and is really a forgiving thing.  the reflections where laid down the end.  I reached for Payne's grey and Davey's grey. 

Pelicans are the bulldog of the birds.  They are solid and humorous.  I loved them from my very first encounter at 10, on the Naples Pier.  I should paint them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment