Thursday, September 22, 2016

Reddish Egret

I was on a shelling party on the outer Islands of Naples.  I saw this egret dancing in the surf.  I worked hard to get good shots of this bird.  This photo has haunted me for years.  I do not know why I have not tried to paint it yet. 

I see problems with the water fighting the wings.  I will fix that on my next go round with this subject.  I had used a cerulean blue, but it granulated too much on the smooth paper.  I switched or covered with horizon blue.  This is a new color for me.  The bird actually popped with brighter blue.

This is a reddish egret.  I have only seen this one.  It is a larger but very graceful water bird.  He spreads his wings to create shadows.  The fish seek these shadows.  Then he will chase his prey.  This is the only egret that fishes this way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment