Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mums

I have done these flowers before as sunflowers.  The centers are made with dropping alcohol into wet paint to make the dots.  The flower petals start out as just wet pain around the centers.  a spatula is used to reates the shapes with the lines being scores made by the spatula. 

The real purpose of this painting is to experiment with, Daniel Smith, Interference Gold.  I have not used it much, but I plan to use it in an painting that is in the works.  It is almost clear, but has gold flecks.  It softens all colors, to create a more pastel effect.  The shininess is subtle which keeps it from looking tacky. 

The results depends on the light, but this pigment gives everything a glowing effect.  I mixed the paint directly with other colors in the background.  Within the flowers I tried glazing, and applying the Interference Gold more heavily.  It can be easily painted over where it is too heavy.  My experimenting was successful and should pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment