Monday, December 2, 2019

Wading Great Blue Heron


Wading Great Blue Heron
37"X27" framed

Hanging in Art2Amazae, 6210 Shirly Street, Suite 108
Naples, Florida

These are magnificent  birds.  You will find them many places around the country.  This one hangs out south of the Naples, Florida pier.  He has posed for my camera quite often.  The pelican has always impressed me even from childhood.  The great blue heron is my second favorite shore bird.  

This painting took several sessions of work over many months.  Once on display in a gallery where I also work and teach, I often find it useful to live with the painting on the wall.  Over a period of time, what bothers me begins to speak to me from the painting.  It comes off the wall for more work. 

The light in the sky and water as well as the distance suggested by the rocks were issues.  The original photo did not give me any useful background information.  I chose the rocks close to Gordan Pass as the backdrop.  At this point, memory and other photos were an inspiration but the background was totally fabricated as well as the lighting in the sky and water.  This would be a sunrise painting because the bird is lit from the shore.  The size of the rocks as well as the stick had to have believable sizing.

  Every time the background was changed the bird had to be adjusted with the 'light against dark, and dark against light rule'.  Photos can give excellent information for a painting but very seldom tells the whole story.  

At this time I believe this painting will not come out of the frame again.  It is finished.  







ww

No comments:

Post a Comment