Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Clean Up


After a heavy painting session there is a mess.  Creating art is often not neat.  Tools are everywhere.  There will be a pile of brushings.  Pencils are strung across the board.  Then there comes moment when things I need start disappearing.  Paint wheels are not organize, but are just stack, and ready to tumble to the floor with one wrong move. 

There is so much going when creating.  I often move and keep moving.  Once the flow is going I do not want to stop.

In the morning it is ritual to clean up, and put every thing in it's place on my art table.  Organization returns.  You can imagine how that makes the day's work easier.  I know longer have to dig around for what I need or just find something else that will do the job.

I am very intentional with my work, especially in the beginning.  As a piece has a strong beginning I get more experimental then everything flies.

The ritual serves me well.  The time I spend cleaning and organizing clears up the cobwebs and is calming.  When I finally sit down to the work at hand I look at it with fresh eyes,  and start planning what I need to do next. 

I often have several pieces going.  When I change paintings during the day I go through the same cleaning process.

When working on one painting for an extended period of time,  I am often dissatisfied with it.  I can get to a place of real dislike.  Paintings have been put in the closet for a few weeks or even years.  When I pull them out they don't look so bad.  I often can decide just what a painting needs, when I was clueless earlier.

Some work really needs to be finished.  I am not a fan of finishing paintings.  The finishing process often brings on anxiety within me.  Flipping from on painting to the other can elevate the painting exhaustion I get.  Pressure feels reduced with the thought that I can lay this down for now, if only for a few hours.  I will often formulate what I need to do next when working and the alternative painting.

I work at knowing myself.  I don't beat myself up with my quirks and kinks.  I just sort of trick myself into overriding them.  You can really be your worst enemy.   I guess I have learned to be my own, kind loving gentle teacher. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, that my dear definetely defines the madness in artistry. :) I am sure your mind is full of amazing ideas, anxieties,and colors. Sometimes I often wonder what it would be like to have the mind of an artist. To see colors in a different way, textiles, image placement. I sometimes think that the world might look a little brighter through an artist's eyes.

    I know you have a little girl who looks up too you tremendously and loves knowing she gets her artsy-ness from you. Friday she is supposed to dress as her career choice...hmmm...what has she chosen to go as???? An Artist, like her grandma. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete