Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Wading Ibis

I have been struggling as an artist.  Cataracts made my world dingy.  It is like looking through dirty windows.  This spring it was hard to paint for long periods of time, because of eye strain.  Now I have one eye corrected.  It is great.  Colors are clear and my vision is 20/20.  For the first time in my life I can wake up in the morning open my eyes and see. 

The problem now is half my world is clear and bright and the other half in totally out of focus.  Extreme nearsightedness and astigmatism was corrected in my right eye.  I still wear reading glasses.  I wear a patch over my left eye only when I paint.  I can see the reflection of my eye in the lens that is covered.  That is pretty much the focal point of that eye.  I can't wear my old glasses with one lens removed.  My old prescription makes things appear smaller.  The eyes will not work together. 

It is funny, I can play the piano. Things are fuzzy with both eyes but clear enough to see the notes.  I had more or a struggle reading music before Eye surgery.

In about three weeks.  I will be in great shape.  Both eyes will be done and my world of sight should be pretty remarkable.  I am grateful to live in a period where my sight can be made better than when I was young. Getting older has it's benefits.

Now about the Ibis.  This bird is in progress. The lighting of the bird is not right yet.  The sun is setting behind the bird,  making the body darker.  I still want more light on the birds back and neck.

The water needs more development.  I experimented with the foam of the waves around his legs.  Scraping out color and adding dark marks with a fine brush, seem to be doing the trick.  It is all about light against dark, and dark against light. 

I am hoping to post a much improved painting in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment