Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Old Engine
Watercolor
21"x 14

I delivered this painting to the Springfield Art Museum. It will on display in the 2011 Watercolor U.S.A. I honestly thought that I would enter this show for a lifetime before I got in, and was quite surprised when I received the acceptance card.

This painting has already won best of show twice, so it is a strong piece. I have been painting a lot more, with doing shows in Florida, this winter. When I was spending so much time caring for my parents the last few years, I felt my painting was a little rusty.

A very good photo that I took in California, Was the foundation for this piece. Then I painstakingly worked on the drawing and detail. The angle of the train was difficult and had to be right. Then finally balancing the wet-into-wet areas and with the detailed areas was what makes this painting work. The strong value pattern also makes it stand out.

Wish they all could be like this one.

1 comment:

  1. Jane, glad to find your blog. You deserved getting in with this painting; it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete