Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dr. Sketchy's Award Winning Sketch



This is a painting sketch from a Dr. Sketchy's pose. Dr. Sketchy's is similar to a life drawing session, only the models are burlesque dancers. The model is never totally nude, but at times can have little on. I find it interesting to add the clothes. With music, drink and food this evening is party-like.


This was a 15 minute4 pose. I started with pencil on a piece of rag mat board. This is a good use for left over pieces, too small to use in framing. Then I painted, with a round brush that points really well. Then since there is not time to let things dry, I go in with a little colored pencil to add detail or firm up a line.


I then I throw the sketch on the floor. Often I see something that does not read from a distance and pick it up to add touches.


There is usually a contest in the evening, where artists put their paintings on the stage to be judged by the model, after a series of poses. I have never won before, and was surprised when my painting was picked up as first place. I won a breakfast at a local Kansas City Restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment