Saturday, July 31, 2010


The Signs on Winslow Street
Watercolor
13 1/2" x 17"
I just posted this painting to Virtual Paint Out. If I crossed all my 't's and dotted all my 'i's. It will show up on the website soon.
About a week ago Carolyn Summer, facebook friend, recommended that I check this sight out. I commented that I probably will not be able to do a painting this month. I could not figure out how to use the sight and the month was almost over. She whined and shortly posted her painting. The challenge was on.
You go to the google earth sight from the web page. Then you end up walking the streets of the given city. Find something to paint. Save the picture or sight to your computer, print and paint.
I did get a painting done. The signs stretching across the street, is what attracted me. I was cursing myself for picking such a detailed view. But I did get into painting the signs. I began to recognize the repetition of some of the characters. In the end I had to really simplify the buildings, but that makes the signs all the more important in the composition. I did a quick wash of gold ochre over much of the painting to tie it together.
The real accomplishment for me is being able to use the sight. I was painting a scene from Hong Kong by going there via internet. How cool is that?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, I love your painting! It is my first time for a submission. Like you, I wished I had not chosen a scene with such detail. Also, with the "rules", I was not sure I was gonna do everything correctly. Next time I will not wait until the last minute, either. :-) Keep up the beautiful work!

    Cindy Ellison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feelin' the Hong Kong-ness of this piece.
    Nicely executed...and just under the wire.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete